Friday, September 26, 2008

Chapter 8-5

Valgard had never smelt corpses before. They didn’t smell pleasant at all. He was able to hold his lunch down for now, which was as much of a victory as he was likely to get today.

“Denall... Temac...” Lloyd said, emotion creeping into his normally stoic voice.

Valgard patted his knight on the back. It felt strange. “Do not worry. We shall track them down and get our revenge.”

“Of course, your highness,” Lloyd said.

“But first, I have a favour to ask you.”

Lloyd looked up, surprised. “A favour?”

“When we run into those vagabonds again... I don’t want to be useless like I was here. So I ask you, teach me in the ways of sword and body. Subject me to what ever you would subject a new recruit to.”

Lloyd turned away. “Your highness, that would be highly improper.”

“More improper than disobeying a direct order from your lord?” said Valgard.

“I understand,” said Lloyd. “We shall begin training tonight. But if you regret this... consider yourself forewarned.”

Valgard cracked a smile. “Well, I fully expect to regret it.”

The smile faded quickly. Valgard said the last rights for Denall and Temac, and took their swords so that they could be planted in their homeland.

Previous
Next

No comments: