Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Chapter 7-2

“Okay, we can go through,” Anjanette said, nearly skipping.

“Never met a problem you couldn’t sleep with, huh?” said Leonas.

Anjanette’s face curled up like she had just eaten sour fruit. “Him? No way. I just showed him an episode of Noble and Beautiful. He got hooked. Everyone does.”

“I didn’t,” said Milly and Leonas in unison.

“That’s because you guys are no fun,” she teased. “Anyway, it turns out they don’t have such ‘blatant aristocratic propaganda’ in Kendran because of some sort of trade embargo. So I sold him the entire backlog I have in exchange for these.” Anjanette dug three visitor’s IDs out of her purse, each one reading “HONOURED GUEST”. “These babies mean we can enjoy all the fruits of the great People’s Republic of Kendran. Everything to us according to our needs, nothing from us but some soap ilscs.”

“Wow, good job,” marvelled Milly.

“I almost don’t hate that show anymore,” Leonas admitted. “So, shall we get going?”
“Well, if we don’t then the merchants behind us may start throwing things,” said Anjanette. They headed off towards Barret, strolling under a peaceful red sky.

* * *

“I’m bored,” Anjanete said, staring up at the brick ceiling of the inn. “Bored bored bored bored bored.”

“Observe, the perpetual three-year-old,” said Leonas.

“Oh, go fuck yourself,” teased Anjanette. “There’s nothing to do in this town, and we’ve been travelling for way too long. Not to mention I just sold all my soaps. This sucks.”

Milly poked her head out from a treatise on illusory magic. “If you’re that bored I have plenty of interesting books—“

“No,” Anjanette said automatically. She continued to lie on the bed, staring at the ceiling while occasionally fixing her hair, until the proverbial torch lit over her head. “I’ve got it! Let’s go guy-hunting!”

“That sounds like a terrible idea,” said Leonas. “Count me in.”

“Um, you guys have fun,” said Milly. “I’ve got a bunch of stuff to read, and I’ve got this essay on Mial I promised to [i]Aokian Literature Monthly.[/i]”

Anjanette was suddenly a whirling dervish, an unstoppable object of enthusiasm. “Bullcrap. Come on out with us Milly, it’ll be fun.”

“No, it’s really not my thing,” Milly refused.

Anjanette snatched Milly’s book away from her and tossed it aside. She hauled the protesting girl up to her feet. “You made me lose my page!”

“You’re coming out with us,” Anjanette insisted. “Just give it a chance.”

“I guess you won’t take no for an answer,” said Milly with a sigh of resignation. “I’ll go.”

Anjanette smiled a predator’s smile. “See? I always get my way.”

Previous
Previous

No comments: