Saturday, July 12, 2008

Chapter 6-4

Anjanette had just been woken from her sleep, and was very cranky. When the door opened and Leonas was standing their, smiling cockily, her anger melted. “Leo? What the hell?”

“I prefer to be adressed as ‘your savior’,” said Leonas.

Anjanette gave him a deep hug, while Milly just stared at him, blinking sleep out of her eyes.

“Hey, the women’s prison is nice,” said Leonas, taking a look at their cell with an appraising eye.

“Can we just get out of here?” Anjanette said.

“No patience,” Leonas said, shaking his head.

Anjanette and Milly left their cell quietly. It was just then that Milly noticed the two guards, a man and a woman, standing nervously at the end of a hallway.

“Who are they?” she asked.

“Well, the man is my good buddy Mister Peral—“

“He’s blackmailing me into letting you out,” Peral said with a sigh.

The woman stared daggers at Peral. “And I happen to owe him five gold from way back when, so this is my way of paying it off.”

“What’s that noise,” Anjanette asked, straining her ears.

“Er, we sort of started a riot at the men’s prison,” said Leonas. “One of them started yelling to be let out too and...”

“I am so getting fired,” Peral said.

The trio left through the back door, being very quiet so as not to spark a second riot. They moved on foot, not having time to go back for their horses, if they were even still there, or alive. With all the guards trying to subdue the riot, nobody noticed a man and two women in prison garb slipping through the alleys and out into the wilderness.

“I’m an escaped convict,” Milly whispered to herself. “I’m a wanted criminal. I’m a fugitive.” No matter which words she used, it still seemed unreal and horrifying at the same time.

“Well, at least that mess is over with,” said Anjanette. “Where to next, o savior?”

“We’re going to the Dutchy of Adamle,” Leonas explained. “They have no extradition treaty with the AOK ever since the Aokian President snubbed the Duke. Apparently the Duke used to write him letters daily, under the illusion that they were great pals, and the President just stopped responding. Ah, nobility.”

Anjanette chuckled. “I’m just pissed off that I lost all the clothes I worked so hard to steal.”

Milly paused again, frozen with horror. “My... books...”

“Pardon?” said Leonas.

“They took my cloak, and all the books were in that!” Milly shrieked. “We have to go back!”

“No way, freak,” said Anjanette. “We can’t walk back into the city.”

“You don’t understand, I’ve spent so much time gathering that collection, and there are so many great books and one I might not be able to find again and if I don’t have them I have to start at square one and oh god.” Milly dissolved into a sobbing mess.

Leonas looked nonchalant. “What, you mean this thing?” He tossed the folded-up cloak at her, pulling it out from under his shirt. Milly gasped and shrieked in happiness, hugging the cloak to her chest. She tackled Leonas with a forceful bearhug.

“Whoa,” he said, jokingly trying to shove her away. “I had to go back for this. It has the map in it, after all.”

“Thank you...”

Anjanette rolled her eyes. “You didn’t save any of my clothes, did you?”

“Nope. But the jumpsuit looks good on you,” said Leonas.

“Did you at least take the book as well?”

Leonas shook his head. “It wasn’t there. Either it’s sitting in some lockbox, or Valgard took it.”

“I’m going to assume Valgard,” said Milly.

“Alright,” said Anjanette. “It’s his fault that I don’t have my clothes or my sword. Now, let’s find this prick, take back those books, and shove them up his lily-white aristocratic ass.”

Previous
Next

No comments: